Monday, March 14, 2011

by Edgar Allan Poe +Annabel Lee +

  •   It was many and many a year ago, 
  •    In a kingdom by the sea, 
  • That a maiden there lived whom you may know 
  •    By the name of ANNABEL LEE;-- 
  • And this maiden she lived with no other thought 
  •    Than to love and be loved by me. 
  • She was a child and I was a child, 
  •    In this kingdom by the sea, 
  • But we loved with a love that was more than love-- 
  •    I and my Annabel Lee-- 
  • With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven 
  •    Coveted her and me. 

  • And this was the reason that, long ago, 
  •    In this kingdom by the sea, 
  • A wind blew out of a cloud by night 
  •    Chilling my Annabel Lee; 
  • So that her high-born kinsman came 
  •    And bore her away from me, 
  • To shut her up in a sepulchre
  •    In this kingdom by the sea. 

  • The angels, not half so happy in Heaven, 
  •    Went envying her and me:-- 
  • Yes! that was the reason (as all men know, 
  •    In this kingdom by the sea) 
  • That the wind came out of a cloud, chilling 
  •    And killing my Annabel Lee. 

  • But our love it was stronger by far than the love 
  •    Of those who were older than we-- 
  •    Of many far wiser than we- 
  • And neither the angels in Heaven above, 
  •    Nor the demons down under the sea, 
  • Can ever dissever my soul from the soul 
  •    Of the beautiful Annabel Lee:-- 

  • For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams 
  •    Of the beautiful Annabel Lee; 
  • And the stars never rise but I see the bright eyes 
  •    Of the beautiful Annabel Lee; 
  • And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side 
  • Of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride, 
  •    In her sepulchre there by the sea-- 
  •    In her tomb by the side of the sea. 


No comments:

Post a Comment